The Fort (Battery) was built 1890-91 .
The first fort in the UK to be built of mass concrete .
Armaments 3 - 10inch RML ( Rifled Muzzle Loading ) Guns ,
replaced in 1900 by three six-inch Breech Loading (BL) Guns .
Accomodation for 91 men .
Extensive changes to the battery and armaments over the life of the site.
In 1899 3 guns were mounted to the east of the battery , now overgrown .
Disarmed in 1920.
Location: SM 858 035