Until 1974 the town was known as Portmadoc after William Maddocks who built the ‘Cob’ embankment in 1811.
The first wharves were built here in 1825 , the harbour evolved over decades, as the slate industry prospered.
A ship-building industry emerged in Porthmadog and Borth - y - Gest with nearly 300 vessels built.
The harbour began to decline with the arrival of the Cambrian Railway in 1867.
The last of Porthmadog’s fleet of ships disappeared by 1945
Ref: NW 22
Location: SH 5707 3848