A view to Popton Point / Popton Fort , from Sawdern Point.
Popton Point Fort was purchased by the BP Oil Company in 1957 and thoroughly restored,
with the hexagonal barracks building being used as offices and stores.
Becoming part of the BP Angle Bay Ocean Oil Terminal , which operated between
1961–1985 , comprising Oil Storage Tanks and pumping equipment ,
for the 60 mile pipeline to transport the crude oil across South West Wales.
The deep waters of Milford Haven were suited to the enormous ocean-going tankers
coming into service in the 1960's .
The 5 Oil Storage Tanks have been demolished , the fort and casemates are now the
property of the nearby Pembroke Refinery.
The Oil terminal served the BP refinery at Llandarcy , near Neath ,
Britain's first large scale Oil Refinery (built 1918-1922) which closed in 1997.
Location: SM 887 032